Friday 30 March 2012

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

In order to create a successful product- my A2 music video-which was made to accompany the song ‘Cosmic love’ by Indie artist Florence and The Machine, it was important for myself and producers generally to consider the targeted audience before beginning the task. I considered in detail their age, gender, general interests, social class etc. I decided to aim my music video at the female gender, aged from 17-25 years old, particularly those interested in the indie-pop genre, possibly with inclination to listen to similar artists such as ‘Feist’ and ‘Kate Bush’.  I had to create a music video, digipack and magazine advert which appealed to this audience, so in order to understand and appeal successfully, I began studying similar products. I looked at the music magazine advertisements contained in NME and Q especially those which shared similarities regarding genre and artists. I found that the magazine advertisements in these magazines generally seemed male-orientated using male artists- which made me think that mine would stand out as it contains a female artist with a simple style, compared to the over-complicated, masculine design of many I looked at. Gaining audience feedback has been vital in my project, enabling me to foresee future problems which I could then avoid, thus preventing the slowdown of progress.  I asked my peers to highlight the things that they liked about my work so far, but also the things that could be improved. This was helpful in indicating where I was doing well as well as the areas requiring improvement. The feedback I received aided my progress; by reading through their tips I was able to improve my work. Specifically highlighted areas were the dig pack, and the problems I risked from burning a flower, this proved to be supported later on when I tried to burn a flower and it didn’t quite go to plan. This meant that I had to change the method of creating a flame, not necessarily the original concept. The feedback taught me that although it may be impossible to create an image or idea in reality, there are often other methods of doing so digitally, which is what I plan to do using Photoshop.
The audience feedback was helpful in encouraging me to consider everything whilst planning, including the use of back up plans in the case of unexpected rainfall which could potentially ruin a shoot. I think that aesthetically, my feedback indicates that I’m doing well but it’s the idea itself that needs double checking.
The sheet that I handed out to my peers required them to provide information about the section of the project they were reviewing, and they then added their comments beneath about areas I could improve and those which were working well. By reading this, I was then able to work out what action would be most appropriate to take in order to move forward through the task.
When I was creating my digipack I looked at similar products on the market from the indie pop genre, which related to new modern genres of music growing in popularity thus creating attracting larger audiences particularly in young people. I found that a clear layout accompanied with an interesting use of graphics was successful, as it attracted audiences by grabbing their attention. On my digipack I added in graphic stars using Photoshop alongside my own pictures of sparklers which adhered to the quirky, interesting effect I attempted to create.    The use of Laura Mulvey’s theory called ‘The male gaze’ can be applied to my music video as I used close-ups shots of the models’ face which focuses on sexual, seductive features such as the lips and eyes, and then also upon her hair also through the music video digi pack and music advertisement. However in some ways my actress rejects this interpretation of the male gaze as she is dressed modestly and the narrative of the song surrounds her feelings and experience rather than focusing on her appearance or objectification.
Bulmer and Katz’ Uses and Gratifications theory to my music video, which has four reasons as to why audiences consume media texts: entertainment, which is for the purposes of escapism and diversion; surveillance, which is for the purpose of obtaining information; personal identity, which suggests that the audience relate to the characters and situations; personal relationships, which suggests that the audience look to the media text as a way of connecting with those around them. My music video would fall under the entertaining category, due to its pleasurable, aesthetically pleasing appearance and use of interesting mise en scene. It may also be regarded as adhering to Personal identity through the use of an influential female character that might inspire audiences. My magazine advertisement, digipack and music video contains an artist with quirky make-up and dark clothing which stands out from standard, everyday styles – this therefore relates to personal identity again by encouraging the audience to become inspired and influenced by the artists style choices. The style is different, and almost controversial which Is a factor I found to be successful in music videos from my similar product research, particularly Florence and the machine or even mainstream artists such as Lady Gaga who is known for her controversial, exciting outfit choices. When audiences see the advertisement in magazines, or the purchase the CD I intended for them to enjoy it but also feel as though they are part of club, exclusivity almost which is something younger audiences typically crave.
The age of my intended audience begins around late teens towards young adults, which is typically an age of hedonism, self-discovery but ultimately a time when they begin to explore different sources of inspiration through the people they see in magazines and the music they listen to-so in this sense the target audience in regards to age particularly is suitable to the magazine. The social class I aimed my products at was C1-E, because the majority of young people are either students, apprentices or new workers, meaning there’s a high chance of them owning/having access to the internet where they can watch my music video and encourage them to buy the CD and recognise the artists in magazine advertisements which include the website address. This allows readers to again feel ‘part of an exclusive club’ by interacting with the artist’s life and events further.
Stuart Hall’s reception theory focuses upon how audiences consume media, arguing that producers encode meaning into a media text for audiences to unravel. I included this in my media video by metaphorically representing feelings and emotions with actions. For example the theme of ‘dissolving’ or ‘disappearing’ is evident through the use of blown out candles and ink dissolving into water – this concept links to the lyrics which describe the emotions felt during heartbreak such as ‘now it's left me blind’  ‘So darkness I became’. The character in the music video wears a deep red lipstick and dark eye shadow and wears dresses made from delicate materials- this highlight her femininity and ensures that she is perceived as beautiful, which links to attracting a male audience and Mulvey’s concept of seeing women as ‘Madonna’s. Although it could be argued that my music video conforms to the stereotypical woman through the chosen costumes and use of make-up, but also the narrative which portrays her as a weak female, victim to an assumed heartbreak.
I think that my music video and the accompanying products successfully appeal to my target audience which I selected pre-production. I think that my music video would not only be perceived as interesting, but also easily understood by the target audience due to the research, planning and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment