Friday 30 March 2012

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? - Break into 3 sections: Music video, Magazine advert and digi pack.

Magazine Advertisement:
My magazine advertisement adheres to the typical conventions seen in magazines through the use of eye catchy typography on the cover heading which has been increased in size and designed with a different type of font. I was able to do this using the text editing tools on programme Photoshop. I felt that it enabled the text to be easily distinguishes from the accompanying text, and clearly establishes the artists name.
Another key convention of music magazine advertisements is a picture of the artist being the main focus, which is evident in my product where the photograph takes up the majority of the space. I took the photograph using a Sony HVR A1E with an eye level angle shot encouraging clear direct eye contact from the artist with the audience. The majority of magazine advertisements specifically plan how they can use make-up, hair and outfit styling to create an intentionally attractive/ enticing appearance. This is something which I also felt was important; I decided I wanted my actress to have enhanced sexual, seductive features such as the lips and eyes- therefore I used dark eye make-up and red lipstick to draw attention to her feminine features which applies to Laura Mulvey’s ‘The male gaze’ theory. This theory can also apply to my other products also such as the close up used in the digipack, and the appearance of her hair and body in the music video. I felt that my stylistic choices create a sense of ambiguity about the artist by avoiding portraying her as an obvious stereotype, thus encouraging the audience to be curious about her. This ambiguity is also relevant to the narrative of the music video which contains lyrics with unclear meaning and ability to be interpreted broadly. Music advertisements need to provide the audience with the appropriate information such as websites where more information can be accessed and release dates. This can be seen on my cover where dates and website address have been clearly displayed in a white font which stands out against the dark background.
I wanted the magazine advertisement to be clear with the important information easily distinguishable from the image, so I made sure that I designed the advertisement with a clear discourse structure and appropriate colour schemes.
Music video
My main product adheres to Andrew Goodwin’s theory about music videos highlighted in his book ‘Dancing in the Distraction Factory' which focuses on the typical features and characteristics demonstrated within them. Firstly according to Goodwin, music videos all demonstrate genre characteristics which I feel is evident in my music video of the indie-pop genre. By looking at my similar products from the same genre, I included similar genre characteristics regarding the styling choices of the actress and the chosen props. The whole tone of my music video relates to the genre of indie-pop by appearing quirky and interesting, and the way my actress expressed emotion allowed a relationship to be created between the lyrics, with the visuals illustrating and amplifying lyrics. This is another feature of Andrew Goodwin’s theory.
Typically music videos include a vast amount of close up shots which focus on the artists face and appearance, which encourage familiarity and a sense of being personal with the artist. I also used this technique whilst shooting my music video but made sure that I varied the shot types and included long and medium shots also in order to maintain a level of versatility. An aspect of Andrew Goodwin’s theory is the subject of Voyeurism. This is present in many music videos particularly towards females, but also in terms of systems of looking. I feel that this was included in my music video, with examples of Laura Mulvey’s ‘Male gaze’ as I used close-ups camera shots of the models’ face which focuses on sexual, seductive features such as the lips and eyes, and then also upon her hair also through the music video digi pack and music advertisement. However, in some ways my artist doesn’t conform to the ‘male gaze theory’ in that she is dressed modestly and the narrative of the song surrounds her feelings and experience rather than solely focusing on her appearance or objectification.
Bulmer and Katz’ Uses and Gratifications theory can be applied to my music video, which has four reasons as to why audiences consume media texts: entertainment, which is for the purposes of escapism and diversion; surveillance, which is for the purpose of obtaining information; personal identity, which suggests that the audience relate to the characters and situations; personal relationships, which suggests that the audience look to the media text as a way of connecting with those around them. My music video would fall under the entertaining category, due to its pleasurable, aesthetically pleasing appearance and use of interesting mise en scene. It may also be regarded as adhering to Personal identity through the use of an influential female character that might inspire audiences.
Digipack
My digipack adheres to typical conventions seen in similar products with the use of a middle section where the physical material is stored (The CD). This convention is important in order to encase the CD insuring it is not damaged/scratched. The music video needed to link to the digipack in order to create a sense of continuity, therefore I stuck with the same large, italic white font which stood out against the background and clearly displayed the artists name. The image on the CD cover of my artist shows her with the same type of make-up and styling choices so that the audience can easily recognise her, especially if they have seen the music video first and then gone to look for her CD in a store.
In order to get a better idea of what a professional digipack should look like, I analysed real media texts and existing digipack of the indie pop genre to identify the typical forms and codes and conventions that they use. On the cover I used a close up camera shot of the artist’s face, which I then placed onto Photoshop and added star graphics using the shape tool, and darkened the background using the burn tool in order to create a contrast with the white heading. Whilst I was darkening the background I also darkened her make-up so it was similar to the dark make-up used in the magazine advertisement and music video.
On the inside cover I thought that I should use a different type of camera shot rather than all close ups, so I used a medium shot showing her legs, arms and hair which again relates to Laura Mulvey’s Male Gaze theory -common in many digipack of the same genre. Many digipack contain a personal message aimed at the audience which encourages them to feel appreciated as individuals rather than as just part of an audience. The way that the artists name is signed under the message also makes it appear more personal, including the informal style of signing off a message with an ‘x’ which treats the audience more like a friend.
My artists body language in the digipack is open and welcoming with her arms outspread to create a sense of friendliness and approachability, this is similar to that seen in my similar products of the same genre such as Florence and the machine and feist who outstretch their arms on the cover of their albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment